The church of Saint-Joseph

31
Johann Jakob Zurkinden was the parish priest in Jaun from 1848-1877. Until then, the inhabitants of Fang had to attend church services in Jaun. This was not always easy, especially when there was a lot of snow in winter or in bad weather. Pastor Zurkinden therefore endeavoured to build a church in Fang.
1867 : The Benediktmatte (today Kirchmatte) was purchased and designated as a building site.
1868 : Start of construction
1871 : On the feast of the patron saint, St. Joseph, the church was consecrated on 19 March.
The belfry houses the bells of St Joseph (tuned to D sharp, 140 kg) and St Mary (tuned to F sharp, 70 kg). Both were cast by Jules Robert in Pruntrut in 1910. The high altar contains reused paintings from the old church in Jaun (Deaths of St Joseph and St Stephen).
1939 : Painter Gerhard Fugel from Munich creates the Stations of the Cross.
1945 : The coloured glass windows by painters Jules Schmid and Herbert Fleckner (both from Freiburg) are installed.
Extensive renovations were carried out from the 1950s onwards. Installation of oil heating, new seating, loudspeaker system and electrification of the bells. An electronic organ has also been available since 1984. Im Fang also has its own cemetery.


In collaboration with the municipality of Jaun